[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:13:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 18:52, Tobias Oelgarte
<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 16.09.2011 16:15, schrieb Milos Rancic:
>> It's about implementing image filter on images which have copyright
>> problems in Germany (but not in US), not about nudity.
>>
> And it got awesomely off-topic. Now we discuss about an opt-in filter to
> allow copyrighted images on the German Wikipedia? Please put to the topic.

Not opt-in, but opt-out :P

Sorry for hijacking the thread with a joke :)

I think that everything is so obvious that it's become tiresome to discuss it:
* There is significant disproportion in position between editors with
a couple of edits and the core of the community.
* It's not likely that it would be ~85% against, but similar pool on
English Wikipedia would likely finish with ~60% against. Hypothetical
referendums on projects in many European languages would finish
similarly to the referendum on German Wikipedia, as in this case
macho-patriarchal culture, dominant in large parts of Europe,
corresponds with libertarian positions, dominant among the core
editors.
* It's likely that staff and Board already know that correlation
between the results of German Wikipedia referendum and global survey
could be drawn to support previous two conclusions. Thus, they don't
want to publish that part of data.
* There is still significant minority of core editors who want the
filter at any cost.
* Board is divided and doesn't know what to decide.

I would repeat the best possible solution to end this: Implement it on
English Wikipedia -- you (those who want that filter) have some
numbers which would support that action -- and leave the rest of the
projects alone.