[Foundation-l] CC by-sa upheld in Germany, over a Commons photo

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:43:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
> <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Too bad Wikimedia TOS still labors under the misapprehension that the
>> licence doesn't mean what it says.
>
> Can you be specific, to make this into actionable feedback?

Well, since you insist.

Though it doesn't really matter if it is true that the letter of the
licence can be
upheld. The Wikimedia TOS would lose quite clearly.

There is a metric ton of discussion about this very subject on the mailing list,
around the time we migrated from GFDL to a CC licence. I don't expect your
memory to reach that far, and definitely don't expect you to go
digging into that
pile of *expletive*. I sure wouldn't. The skinny is that despite a
good few people
arguing that the TOS can not exact more onerous terms of attribution than the
licence itself stated in text, the TOS as it currently stands, does
require onerous
attribution to Wikimedia of a type which Wikimedia does not itself
adhere to upstream.

It is a bit technical. Really rather not go over that again. But it is a fact.