[Foundation-l] On Wikinews

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:07:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 16:46, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:

>> In my book I described Nupedia, and how that system of having a paid head
>> didn't work out (namely, Larry Sanger as editor in chief).
>
> While I don't like Sanger, it shouldn't be forgot that he was
> responsible for building the initial system on Wikipedia itself.
> Wikinews, unlike Wikipedia, requires larger care; not just setting up
> very initial rules.¨

Not so, and not so. I don't square with either of your interpretation´of
the history...

The fact that Larry Sanger did not pan out as an editor in chief had
nothing to do with the fact that he was paid for his work. He could
have worked for peanuts or completely gratis, and what we would
have had would have been a premature Citizendium.

As for "building" the initial system of Wikipedia, Larry Sanger fought
the building of it tooth and nail to the last, until Jimbo realized he was
doing more harm than good.