[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:26:22 UTC 2011

> You may have missed a couple of things.  A good portion of the loudest
> critics of _the_  _process_ (not the result) ; I hesitate say the majority,
> because I haven't done the numbers; were in fact people in favor of
> the proposal itself, but who had the integrity to recognize that a
> result gained by such flawed means has little or no legitimacy.

Indeed; it was not a wonderfully useful polling of opinion. Count me in that
group.

> Thirdly, there never has in the past been *any* hierarchy in
> wikimedia, that is the beauty of it. And any attempt at empire
> building, now, or in the future, is doomed to fail. There is a
> governance structure, but that should be ring-fenced away
> from the community. What we have here is the governance
> structure trying to leap over the fence. We simply can't have
> that.

We have mini-empires at just about every level of the foundation and
communities - at least on en.wiki. Those empires are pretty well entrenched
by now that any differing view barely gets a look in.

> What is needed here is not a prostrate leadership, but one
> which acknowledges what happened, and offers a crisp
> plain apology. That wouldn't repair the damage, but it sure
> would staunch the bleeding.

If only... as I recently commented at the London Wikimeet; for an
organisation that is ostensibly at the bleeding edge of disseminating
knowledge and openness we have a disappointingly standard/closed higher
organisation. You can hardly tell it apart from the bazillions of other
NFP's....

So: I wouldn't hold out hope.

Tom