[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Fae fae at wikimedia.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 16:13:45 UTC 2011

Thanks Phoebe. I'm glad to hear that the WMF has used almost no
donated money in staff costs running this global referendum.

As a member of the board you may want to consider what it means in
terms of operational accountability if such a large exercise with
massive impact on our community has no measurable costs due to staff
not reporting their time against it. I am puzzled at how your
programme managers ever decide when to cancel projects if the
resources they are consuming are not reported.

With regard to your comments about massive and possibly excessive use
of "free" volunteer time, as a UK charity we are interested in
improving how we measure e-volunteer effort spent on our projects as
we believe that we should take care to avoid volunteer "burn-outs"
(which we see too many of) or using up all of the good will that is
represented by the efforts of our volunteers, of which I am one,
without maximizing the impact on our mission. Perhaps WMF could
consider the same issues when judging the success of its projects?

Cheers,
Fae