[Foundation-l] On Wikinews

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:44:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 14:28, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt that would be enough to satisfy the no original research
> requirement. The idea linking back to a Wikimedia project as a source is not
> a new one, it has been tried many times and doesn't work.

The no original research policy was never intended to keep out
material like this. Its purpose is to stop editors adding their own
opinions to the text of articles. But we have always had original
research in the form of images; indeed, we encourage it. We just have
to be careful that images on a contentious article don't unfairly push
the reader in a certain direction, but we normally take a very liberal
view of what that means.

Adding video-taped interviews is the next step. Imagine articles about
the Second World War containing video interviews by Wikipedians of
people who lived through certain parts of it. There is no inherent POV
issue there, so long as we observe NPOV, just as we do with text.
Primary sources are already allowed, so long as used descriptively and
not interpreted.

Sarah