[Foundation-l] On Wikinews

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:22:59 UTC 2011

On Thursday 15 September 2011 01:43 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 14 September 2011 21:02, Achal Prabhala<aprabhala at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the world now follows the
>> Wikinews model.
>
> No, you're describing bare skimming of the unedited social media pool.
> Wikinews follows a process-heavy review model, so laborious that news
> dies before getting through it and contributors give up and fork.

The hazards of not knowing about how Wikinews works I guess :) But I
think it would be right to say that Wikinews - at least in a citizen
journalism context - was far ahead of mainstream media; behind
Indymedia, but ahead of many others. And that the reason I haven't been
to Indymedia (or read anything significant from there in a long time) is
also possibly because it was ahead of the curve, i.e. ahead of the
infrastructure that could have really enabled it?