[Foundation-l] On Wikinews

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 18:10:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:02, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
> of Wikipedia principles. Wikis depend on eventualism: given an
> infinite timeline, pages eventually get better. News cannot survive on
> that. The "decay" of the value of breaking news and eventualism are at
> odds with each other.
>
> The question is, would paid staff be a healthy temporary boost for
> sustainability or be futile artificial life support? I fear it's the
> latter.
>
> -Andrew (above taken from an earlier, longer post)

There are current affairs issues that would continue to be of
interest. I've always felt this was an area Wikipedia and Wikinews
should pursue: video interviews by Wikipedians of interesting people.
Not necessarily celebrities or news types -- interviews with ordinary
people, oral histories of certain communities, people who've had odd
experiences, etc.

It has been discussed a few times, and I know David Shankbone did some
good ones, but for some reason it has been limited. Adding some
original videos to our articles (adding them to Wikipedia articles,
supplied by Wikinews) would be very attractive to readers, I think.

Sarah