[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Wed Sep 14 16:37:04 UTC 2011

>> > Other people want it because of a desire to keep controversial content
>> out
>> > of their home. Giving these user control over image selection may bring *
>> > more* people to Wikipedia, and an article with controversial content.
>> > Intellectual curiosity may entice them to click through and see the image
>> > now or later. That is a Good Thing.
>>
>> May or may not. Did you ever live in a politically restrictive country?
>>
>> //Saper
>>

> Hello Saper,
>
> Could you explain how that you think an user controlled image filter would
> make a difference to a person who lives on a country politically restricted
> country? Do you think that it would hurt or help, or make no difference?

Can you help me in understanding in why such a user control feature may
possibly bring more people to Wikipedia? I am especially interested in
countries where access to information is restricted by the environment,
for example by governments, whether the same reasoning applies to them
as to less restrictive regions.

I am asking this because I happened to grow up and have first 8 years
of my education in such an environment and I still remember those times
and how we approached the limited access to information.

//Saper