[Foundation-l] The WikiNews fork - for lack of a copyvio detection bot half a project was lost

Aaron Adrignola aaron.adrignola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:49:06 UTC 2011

> From: Tempodivalse <r2d2.strauss at verizon.net>
> To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:30:44 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: [Foundation-l] The WikiNews fork - for lack of a copyvio detection bot half a project was lost
> CorenSearchBot would be quite useful for both Wikinews and OpenGlobe;
> in general, I think wiki projects should take advantage of copyright searches
> more often. If anyone can install the bot on OpenGlobe, please post at our Village
> Pump.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Tempodivalse

CorenSearchBot has not been operational for several months since Yahoo
stopped allowing automated queries.  Bing's terms of use don't permit
this either and apparently the same is true for Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CorenSearchBot

I do like the idea of a place to request bots for projects other than
en.wiki (not *global* bots, but bots running locally by request).
Things like the unsigned bot.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Desired_bots