[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:26:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content
>>
>> However, the editor community could sabotage it in various ways. For
>> example, there's no guarantee that anyone will tag any images, or that
>> tagged images won't be untagged by bots run by administrators. If the
>> Board really does want a useful image-hiding feature, then it's
>> essential that the community be persuaded that it is a good idea.
>>
>> Personally, I think the filter will be mostly harmless, and that it's
>> not worth the effort to rail against it. It will be useful for PR --
>> it will seem as if we are trying to accomodate all points of view even
>> if the feature is not particularly useful for parents.
>>
>> -- Tim Starling
>

> Because of the dictat nature of the board resolution, I think the key
> question omitted  from the questionnaire was:
>
> When (not if) we implement this feature, would you be willing to
> participate actively in a fork of Wikipedia?
>
> Not kidding.

Since the leadership of the foundation seems to be unable to speak
for themselves, let me speak *for* them.

"We do realize that what we did was wrong, and this is clearly not a
situation where we can go on with the 'your opinions have been
duly noted' haughty attitude. We apologize for even going that route
ever in the first place. The community rules, we serve, that is what
we are being payed for.

We do realize how demoralizing it must be for the people in  the
trenches trying to weed out behaviours that can be only charitably
called "gaming the system", when -- it is admitted -- we egregiously
did that at the highest of levels of Foundation goverment, and for
that we are duly sorry. Lessons shall be learned."