[Foundation-l] Forkability, its problems and our problems

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 01:48:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Another problem is that forking of a large Wikipedia edition has
> proven to be extremely difficult, regardless of the availability of
> image dumps, so the threat is very weak. The Chinese experience should
> tell us how hard it is: Baidu Baike and Hudong were able to thrive
> only with the Chinese Wikipedia completely blocked in Mainland China.
>
> -- Tim Starling

There is a relevant anecdote to go with this. A physics teacher was telling
his students how compared to the other fundamental forces, gravity was
comparatively very very weak. Just as he said that, a wall attached speaker
failed its mountings and came crashing down behind him. Without missing
a beat he continued. "Weak, but non-neglible."