[Foundation-l] PG rating

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:44:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Fae <fae at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> On 13 September 2011 18:23, M. Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you kidding? Pictures of mummies, a cup with a depiction of two guys
>> doing it that can only be noticed if you look really closely, and what is
>> supposed to be a depiction of intercourse but actually looks more like a
>> piece of stale bread? Wow.
>
> That's rather the point of putting up these examples for illustration
> and as a test for any proposal. Where do you draw the line?

Thanks Fae.  So far there are very few documented instances of
external regulators rating/censoring Wikipedia content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Wikipedia

I think it is useful to put other what-ifs on the table to discuss.
Most of the time we'll have good reasons to disagree with an external
regulators desire to hide an image.  However there may be instances
where we can fix the problem by removing gratuitous images from
articles, and leave them in a Commons category.

If it turns out to be a very limited problem, we should not build a
complex system that ends up over-engineered and not supported by the
community.  A few gadgets to hide individual images might suffice.

--
John Vandenberg