[Foundation-l] On Wikinews

me at marcusbuck.org me at marcusbuck.org
Tue Sep 13 15:33:19 UTC 2011

Zitat von Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com>:
> I don't quiet agree with that analysis. You comparison with professional
> competitors might have held true in the last age of publishing, the playing
> field has been much more leveled. Even the New York Times has a hard time
> being competitive in this age, when they can't compete with individual
> bloggers posting and copying stories from everywhere. Amateurs already won
> that race.

My main point was (although I didn't make it overly clear) not that
"professionals" do inherently better work than amateurs/volunteers,
but that they constantly dedicate eight working hours every day to
creating content. That's something you can count on to provide the
base load of the critical mass. Most volunteers on the other hand can
only dedicate one or two hours a day and only if they have no other
obligations. Sometimes volunteers stop contributing for no apparent
reason. You cannot create large articles, background pieces or
interviews in just one or two hours. That's why professionals are
useful.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox