[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcome to Wikimedia D.C.

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Tue Sep 13 13:32:37 UTC 2011

Hi Tomasz,

Like Béria states, this is not very unusual. In some jurisdictions, the
usage of a trademark in your name is tricky, and sometimes there are other
legal reasons to choose a different official name. However, all chapters use
Wikimedia XX as their 'trade name' in everyday life. This is something
chapcom and the board is definitely aware of. Normally the official name is
used in the resolutions, but for some reason this must have slipped this
time. You can however see on
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Recognition_of_Wikimedia_District_of_Columbia
that
the linked bylaws (which is what is defining the entity) explicitely state
the legal name, even in the link. There is no confusion possible therefore,
also from a very formal point of view.

Best regards,
Lodewijk