[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:37:20 UTC 2011

M. Williamson, 13/09/2011 00:13:
> English Wikiquote, which I've always considered to be one of our most
> pointless and least useful projects, has a total of 5 users who make more
> than 100 edits a month. This is a project in English, our highest-traffic
> language, that has been open since 2003. That's ridiculous.

You're honest in reminding your own prejudices against the project, but
that's a very bad example for your own thesis.
First, Wikiquote (in several languages) serves his purpose quite well
and successfully; a dictionary of quotations can be considered a niche
product compared to a vocabulary or an encyclopedia and this explains
the not so high numbers but this doesn't mean it's less worthwhile of
other more ambitious projects that don't work at all.
Second, the English edition has a particularly high number of anonymous
edits and edits performed by less active editors: the ability to get
contributions by readers seems a success to me, not a fault.
Third, you should not consider only absolute but also relative numbers.
I remember a presentation of Erik Moeller at Wikimania 2010 where he
showed views and activity stats of our projects to prove how some of
them are failing; he even forgot to mention Wikiquote, but his own
numbers showed that it was the project with the highest "return on
investment", i.e. the views/activity (work) ratio.

In short, your own argumentation is an example of the problem itself,
that is considering non-Wikipedia projects with Wikipedia-only criteria,
creating the premises of the failure.

Nemo