[Foundation-l] all images on/off function

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 06:06:57 UTC 2011

One of the side points about the recent image filter survey* was a
discussion of the idea of a "switch" for readers to turn ALL multimedia off
- primarily to reduce the bandwidth required to load a page if you want to.
Then, by chance, I was reading a WP article on my phone this weekend and
noted that there is now a link at the bottom of the mobile gateway
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/ that says "Disable images on mobile
site<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&useformat=mobile&disableImages=1>"
(and the inverse, "enable images on the mobile site", is shown if you click
it).

Is that a new feature or was it always there and I just didn't notice it?
If it's a new feature, was it enabled as a result these recent discussions
or was it just by chance?
Is there any stats (or plans to collect stats) on how many people chose this
option and what kind of mobile device they are browsing from?

 Since the "disable images" function is already working, would it be useful
to trial a subtle link to that function on the normal (non-mobile) site for
a couple of weeks? Place it right down the bottom next to the tiny "privacy
policy, about, disclaimers, mobile view" links? This would not be intrusive
and we could see, through this most-subtle of links, whether anyone takes us
up on the offer. If we find that more people click on the feature than
expected then that would potentially justify making the feature more
prominent (either in the toolbox, integrated into the "filter" software, as
a user-preference etc.)?

Just a suggestion.

-Liam

* Yes, it was a survey not a referendum. A referendum is where, according to
our favourite website "...an entire electorate is asked to either accept or
reject a particular proposal." Personally I'm generally in favour of the
proposed personal image-hiding concept but please let's stop calling it a
referendum.

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata