[Foundation-l] The Wikinews fork: updates

Tempodivalse r2d2.strauss at verizon.net
Tue Sep 13 03:25:14 UTC 2011

Hello! Thanks for the show of support; I was expecting the response to be more
lacklustre than this. I can't answer everyone's comments individually, but I'll try
to address some of the more common questions.

To be clear, OpenGlobe was not created due to a dispute with the Foundation.
The main reason for forking was the perceived hostility and rudeness among Wikinews editors,
especially to newbies and outsiders, which makes it difficult to get anything done
and drives off new recruits. Bureaucracy also
played a role: article standards have become so high that very few stories
make it to the front page; the project currently averages fewer
than two published pages a day and 75%+ of stories are deleted as old news before they see
"daylight". The stories that are published generally go live only after a lengthy delay and
some time after the event has taken place, making their usefulness questionable.

Re how we're going to be different from Wikinews: OpenGlobe is still in the developing
stage, so I'm not sure what direction things will take, but two important things are on our
agenda: make publication of articles much easier and more rewarding, and put the focus on
quality, in-depth reporting, and articles on underreported but relevant events,
instead of just rewriting an article done by AP or Reuters. We also might allow more
"human interest stories", that are unbiased but thought-provoking, as an addition to the
more typical coverage. (There's been a complaint that I've created several articles from the PD
Voice of America, but rest assured I don't want to do that on a daily basis; I just needed "filler" for the main page
until better articles could be made.)

We probably can't keep up with the MSM with sheer manpower, but we can sure be a lot
less biased/superficial. That, plus the fact that we're open-source, and anyone can
contribute, gives us our own little (but important) niche. I think citizen journalism has
become more appealing to the public over the past few years, and we're in position to
take advantage of that.

We have a freenode channel set up at #openglobe, and we're frequently brainstorming
in there, so you're invited to join if you want to see what's going on (and have your own
say).

I've suddenly become quite busy with this new project, so please don't expect frequent replies
to this list.

Regards,

-Tempodivalse (http://theopenglobe.org)