[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Mon Sep 12 23:04:56 UTC 2011

Samuel Klein wrote:
> MZM, you are confused in this thread - Wikimedia doesn't exist to serve
> EN:WP, or to serve its most popular *current* project, it exists to support
> the global dissemination of all sorts of knowledge, and collaboration to
> create that knowledge.

You're on the Board still, right? So you probably have more readily
available access to these stats than I do: out of Wikimedia's share of
resources over the past five years, what percentage has gone to Wikipedia
and what percentage has gone to Wikinews? What about Wikiversity? Wikiquote?
Wikispecies? Wiktionary?

Wikimedia indisputably now exists to serve the English Wikipedia. Wikimedia
is quick to call Sue "Wikipedia Executive Director," isn't it? Or plaster
"Wikipedia founder" on every fundraiser-related publication? Out of the last
X extensions enabled on Wikimedia wikis, how many were written primarily for
the English Wikipedia (MoodBar, WikiLove, ArticleFeedback, etc.)? If you
can't provide percentages to the question above, do you know of any
resources that have gone to a site other than Wikimedia Commons or a
Wikipedia in the past five years? What resources have been devoted to
Wikinews in particular?

Thanks for volunteering to clarify some of my confusion. :-)

MZMcBride