[Foundation-l] Wiki Loves Monuments (Was: On curiosity, cats and scapegoats)

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Sep 12 10:42:27 UTC 2011

> Thanks for the clarification - I understand better what you mean now. We
> indeed chose explicitely only to organize WLM in countries where there
> could
> be an effort to make the necessary preperations (preparing monument
lists
> that are useful for non-Wikipedians, having a national jury and awards
> attract attention of newbees etc). So it was indeed necessary to have an
> organizing team locally to organize Wiki Loves Monuments. This because
> otherwise the images would indeed end up on Commons, but most likely
> unused,
> because the monument is not clearly identified etc.
>
> Anyway, lets have this discussion more in depth later on, after we can
see
> some more clearly the final results of the 2011 edition in all
countries.

> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk

Yes, I see the motivation, and I also agree that it would be better to
discuss it in October in an appropriate place.

Just may be to note that every single picture I uploaded for Russia has a
monument ID and will be used in at least one article in English Wikipedia
(though in some case I would need to create these articles myself). It is
of course easy to do when there are only 30 images, and I see how much
effort is now to take care of all pictures of RM in the Netherlands.

Cheers
Yaroslav