[Foundation-l] Informing chapters about closing/opening wikis (+ useful list)

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 12:17:31 UTC 2011

On Saturday 10 September 2011 05:28 PM, Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> Good execpt some errors.
>
> Italian is national language in switzerland.
>
> Ilario
>
> On 10 Sep 2011 00:54, "Robin Pepermans"<robinp.1273 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> An idea that I raised during a discussion between the language
> committee and Wikimedia South Africa was to inform chapters when a
> request for closing a wiki is made for a language that is spoken in a
> country which has a Wikimedia chapter. For this I made a list on
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_per_Wikimedia_language -- it
> took me some time but I think it is well worth it.
>
> So when proposing a wiki for closure, you should inform the main
> chapter listed there so they have a chance to find interested people
> who can contribute to the respective project.

This is an excellent idea. However, to cut down on frivolous closure
requests, will you also make more explicit on the page (within the
policy) that requests for closure can *no longer* be based upon
inactivity alone? My understanding is that langcom has quite a lot to
take care of anyway, and this will simply forestall irrelevant requests
that cause inadvertent panic, like in the case of Sesotho and Xitsonga
recently.