[Foundation-l] Informing chapters about closing/opening wikis (+ useful list)

Robin Pepermans robinp.1273 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 22:53:57 UTC 2011

An idea that I raised during a discussion between the language
committee and Wikimedia South Africa was to inform chapters when a
request for closing a wiki is made for a language that is spoken in a
country which has a Wikimedia chapter. For this I made a list on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_per_Wikimedia_language -- it
took me some time but I think it is well worth it.

So when proposing a wiki for closure, you should inform the main
chapter listed there so they have a chance to find interested people
who can contribute to the respective project.

The list can also be useful when opening projects. If wanted, I or
formally the language committee could also directly inform chapters
when a wiki is opened in a language spoken in one or more countries
covered by chapters.

Regards,
SPQRobin