[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Sep 9 22:37:43 UTC 2011

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> On 9/7/11 9:15 AM, Milos Rancic wrote:
>> I think that damage produced by this<whatever>  should be localized.
>> The target is English Wikipedia, Board is not especially interested in
>> other Wikipedia editions and other projects in English; which means
>> that it should be localized on English Wikipedia.
>
> Milos, you are way out of line here.  The board is not especially
> interested in English Wikipedia, and indeed, very little of our
> discussion of this feature has any particular relevance to English
> Wikipedia.

It's not out of line to suggest that Wikimedia is especially interested in
the English Wikipedia. It's _indisputable_ at the Wikimedia Foundation
level. Whether it's as true at the Wikimedia Board level is a bit more
arguable, though there's a good deal of evidence to suggest that it's
equally true there. A cursory look at the Wikimedia Board resolutions is
pretty damning.

When the Wikimedia Foundation places the English Wikipedia on a pedestal and
treats all other wiki projects/families as peripheral, it's not at all
unexpected that occasionally people will vent frustration at this.

MZMcBride