[Foundation-l] Hypothetical project rebranding Wikimedia

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Thu Sep 8 16:55:30 UTC 2011

On 9/8/2011 9:27 AM, Nathan wrote:
> Echoing Orionist; I agree that the analysis is interesting and often spot-on
> (if brief), particularly with respect to how little "marketing" of the
> notion of Wikipedia/Wikimedia we do outside of the fundraiser. They lost me
> with the logos, though. The differences between the project logos don't
> indicate anything to the viewer; they are almost random variations of the
> shape "W", and no one who hasn't read the logo pitch will understand what is
> meant to be conveyed. The puzzle globe logo is widely recognizable, and
> there's no clear benefit in abandoning it for something else.
In the world of branding and advertising, when tackling a rebranding
project the need for a new logo is basically assumed at the outset.
Wikimedia's branding issues are an instance where that conventional
wisdom ought to be challenged. Logo redesign is also a tempting target
because the transition is a simple swap, and the agency can easily point
to and explain their work product. The storytelling side of the project
requires deeper engagement because it has to be thoroughly integrated in
the organization to have value. That makes it more work for the branding
agency, while simultaneously being less able to claim what their
contribution was. It may make more sense to develop that capacity
internally, which is one thing the foundation has been trying to do as
it expands its staff.

--Michael Snow