[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri Sep 9 12:44:27 UTC 2011

On 9 September 2011 13:31, Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/9/9 Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia-inc.com>:
>> If you don't like the feature, then don't use it.
>
> Every single proposal I've seen on this feature from the staff assumed
> that the filter will be enabled by default and could (perhaps) be
> disabled. Did I miss something?

My understanding is that the filter *software* will be enabled for all
wikis. The default *setting* for that software will be to display all
images, and then any individual user can choose their own settings
apart from that default.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/FAQ/en

"All Wikimedia content loads on all user browsers by default. The
feature is activated only after all content has been loaded, and then
only when specifically requested by a user."

(A comparison: user email is enabled on all wikis. But users have to
individually turn it on for it to work.)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk