[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Andrew Garrett agarrett at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 9 05:54:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> > Does your feminism excludes necessity for sexual education?
>> >

>> No, but, I can send you some pictures on Commons that have been "speedy
>> keeps" of strippers with their legs spread wide because they are
>> "educational and high quality."
>>
> You're saying that a picture of a stripper with her legs wide open can in no
> way be educational and high quality? The undertone from this statement is
> that "It would be better and less offensive if her legs were closed" which
> to me highlights the censorship problem precisely.

This is the point of the image filter. There are images that,
notwithstanding their being educational and high quality, I don't
necessarily want to see without warning. Even if I'm looking up
'vagina' for whatever reason.

It's about taking into account the visual preferences of readers
(click to show images like that to avoid being surprised) while still
recognising that such images are usually of high quality and have a
valid educational use.

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation