[Foundation-l] Hypothetical project rebranding Wikimedia

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:33:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Tobias Oelgarte <
tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Does rebranding change anything then the "name" or "appearance"?
>
> Or better asked: Does it help to solve any of our real problems?

It might be useful in reducing confusion - when saying that one is on the
board of Wikimedia, undoubtedly many people will think they heard/you meant
Wikipedia. And saying 'Wikimedia' when meaning 'Mediawiki' is something I
have even seen insiders guilty of. I don't think it's enough to counteract
the intrinsic costs of rebranding, but there definitely is some use in it.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com