[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 05:57:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2011 17:32, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Every version of Mozilla has included the "Dont load images" option.
>> And it is simple to find.
>
> John, you made me laugh out loud when I read that - it reminded me of how
> incredibly non-techie I was before I started hanging out with Wikimedians,
> because a few years ago it never would have occurred to me that it was
> possible. As it was,   It took me 15 minutes to find the two ways to do that
> (without looking at the help page that I doubt anyone would find without
> knowing a lot about the project).

http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+disable+images

(our help page turns up on the first page of results, for me)

> I do think David Gerard's suggestion is probably both (a) quite workable and
> (b) more likely to create user satisfaction, especially if it's a
> straightforward toggle.

We should be helping users use their existing tools better, not
creating new tools to do the same job, less well.
people on dialup need to learn how to use these tools because it isnt
just Wikipedia which is slow to load - the entire internet is full of
sites which are a nightmare on dialup.

If we want to improve Wikipedia for dialup, our developer resources
are better spent on a skin which emits less HTML, selects smaller or
less images, etc.

--
John Vandenberg