[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 03:58:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 05:35, Yann Forget <yannfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> But we do peer review images after they have been uploaded on Commons
> or Wikipedia.
>
> It seems that, 10 years after Wikipedia and its sisters have been
> created, you still do not understand that there are wikis.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann

Yann, I yesterday looked at the Veganism article, only to find a
photograph in the infobox, not of yummy tofu scramble as before, but a
close-up of a woman's genitals, with a vibrator and what looked like a
man's fingers. I clicked on it, and saw it was being hosted by the
Wikimedia Foundation, uploaded from Flickr by the Flickr upload bot.

Objecting to this isn't a question of being prudish or of censorship,
or of being anti-wiki. But if we want to attract mature editors, women
editors, editors from outside the majority cultures on Wikipedia, and
serious readers, this kind of thing is obviously very off-putting. So
we risk limiting our reach by not dealing with it.

Sarah