[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Wed Sep 7 22:03:50 UTC 2011

Thomas Morton wrote:
> This is largely an engineering problem; and it can probably be overcome with
> some architecture work. As we are going to be implementing a major new
> feature *anyway* it's not something to reject outright, I think :)
>
> Obviously given the complexity of the category tree system any such
> engineering wouldn't be infallible - but you could match it to most use
> cases. Ultimately it is just a collapsing tree problem, and they are ten a
> penny to a decent engineer :)

I think some of your comments are exhibiting an unfamiliarity with the
tangled mess that is MediaWiki/Wikipedia. Have you done much work on
MediaWiki or worked with the replicated databases at all (particularly the
databases of the larger sites)? An outside voice is great, but yours comes
off as rather naïve.

MZMcBride