[Foundation-l] WLM (was Re: On curiosity, cats and scapegoats)

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Sep 7 15:50:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:19:07 +0200, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not long ago I had a gaffe on internal-l, by publicly expressing
> opinion what do I really think about Wiki Loves Monuments, although my
> intention was to send a private email. However, WLM has a number of
> good sides: Commons will be filled with photos, people will spend time
> together, it makes at least some parts of the movement more coherent.
> Besides the fact that making depictions of depictions is a classical
> European type of decadency. Anyway, if that's the worst thing in our
> movement, I could live with that.

Hi Milos,

could you may be briefly summarize your arguments against WLM, I think
they belong here rather than to internal-l.

Whereas I am not a fan of competitions and believe that they should not
belong to the wiki culture, in my opinion WLM still fills Commons with
pictures which are (i) relevant and some of them are good quality (ii) are
immediately used (iii) get attention, i.e. properly categorized etc . I do
not see immediately any bad sides (except for the usual fact thing some
people work, and others get credit, but this is unavoidable for the
organization of this size).

Cheers
Yaroslav