[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:14:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:35, Sydney Poore <sydney.poore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Seeking outside opinions, and outreach efforts to bring more people into
> our
> > Communities are high on my list of priorities because WMF contributor
> base
> > is too homogeneous for me to be comfortable that our community members
> are
> > making neutral decisions.
>

> That doesn't give a picture of how deep that problem is. Without
> harder evidences, I could freely conclude that it's just about
> particular portion of US society which is anyway positioned far from
> our ideals, so not worthy of efforts. (Similarly to that, I have no
> intention to work ma making Wikipedia closer to Serbian morons of any
> kind. The necessary prerequisite for using internet and Wikipedia is
> not to be a moron.)

We know that our core contributors are a homogeneous group and could be
introducing biases into WMF, both in  content and policy decisions.

We can start from the premise that WMF is an international organizations
that needs to find ways for people of all cultures to work to together.

We can recognize going into every situation that our contributions are going
to be seen by people who do not share the biases we have.

We can attempt to avoid making stereotypical  comments about people from
other cultures.

If we don't do these things then it is near impossible to be an organization
where people of all cultures feel free to express their opinion, and join
the community. Without the opinions of these people, then we will not
achieve our core mission.

Sydney

User:FloNight