[Foundation-l] [Wikinews-l] The systematic and codified bias against non-Western articles on Wikinews

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:22:21 UTC 2011

> See item #3 in this Signpost re. death of Osama bin Laden. We nailed it:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-05-09/News_and_notes
>
> Wikipedia seems to get a lot of hits when it keeps up with the news. I
> think it reflects well on the project and has a bit of a "wow!"
> factor. It also gets us press coverage. So I'm all for news in
> Wikipedia.

It's not *news* though - it's supposed to be a historical record. There is a
lot more content that a news article could/should cover (with a different
tense & style for starters).

We consolidate news into historical record; and people find that useful.

But more often than not we get it wrong, or end up doing reporting rather
than recording. The reason WikiNews exists is because WP is intended as a
record! :)

Tom