[Foundation-l] Sue Gardener, Wikipedia's leading editor - wikileaks

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 05:06:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> On 09/06/11 3:29 AM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> > Funny, These lines remind us that a lot of the "intelligence" work is
> > nothing more than reading the newspaper. No much real "leaking", one
> > might say.
> >
> > Obviously, those writers love the word "leading" to make their readers
> > understand the importance of the news. :-)
> >
> > Isn't it a problem in the English language that "editor" usually means
> > a person who is publishing, like the editor (publisher?) of a
> > newspaper?
> >
> No, in the usual senses they are very different.  Essentially the editor
> is responsible for the contents, and the publisher is responsible for
> the distribution.
>
> Ray

Americans do understand the difference, and that often makes things more
confusing for us.  The average American would view the WMF as the publisher
of Wikipedia since it hosts the content of editors.  However, the editors
are the publishers by our licensing, and we frequently come up against that
in OTRS correspondence with the more media savvy defining the WMF as the
publisher and thus responsible for the work.  I can imagine it's a concept
that is hard to wrap one's head around when they work in American media.
 Definitions of Jimmy's and the WMF's staff in relation to the product is
muddled in the news, at best.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan