[Foundation-l] The systematic and codified bias against non-Western articles on Wikinews

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:05:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>wrote:

> Can not you just introduce a flag of a "trusted editor", similar to an
> autoreviewer? I mean, if the news creator is a en.wp administrator most
> probably he/she is not a vandal trying to post junk in the Google News. Why
> this message should have been reviewed at all?

I'd go even further - Wikinews was born from the wiki movement, wasn't it?
Having extensive, multi-tier checks before something is accepted is
decidedly unwiki. The wiki way is to assume that not just hardened
wikimedians but also most though not all newbies are well-intending. The
wiki way is to say 'yes' quickly, but with the revert button easily
reachable.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com