[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:55:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 05:31:52PM +0200, David Richfield wrote:
>>  and is totally reversible, so I support it.
>>

> Yeah... about that. I propose a challenge to you too then.
>
> I'm proposing to run a wiki server, emulating different scenarios with
> the image filter and category system. The filter itself actually is
> likely Mostly Harmless; at worst it'll likely stochastically reduce
> admin effectivity. So for at least some of the scenarios, we won't
> even run a filter on-wiki. ;-)
>
> Now... the category scheme used by the filter, that's where life gets
> interesting.
>
> If you're convinced nothing can go wrong, you can join blue team. Of
> course, I'll be playing on red team. }:-)>
>
> #include evil_laughter.h;
>
> Afterwards, we can swap, to see if the other team can hold blue.

I find this argument very unconvincing.

wikis are predicated on the belief that there are more people willing
to do good than bad, that they are highly protective of their
collective work, they are smarter and better organised, and all they
need to win the battles (as well as the war ..) is slightly more
advanced tools... like the block button.

add a mix of abusefilter, flagged revs, semi-protection, etc., and we
can slow down changes to the categorisation system and respond quickly
to attacks.  It wont be much different than template vandalism.

in short, game on Kim. ;-)

--
John Vandenberg