[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:54:01 UTC 2011

> Logically, we have the solution: If Board really cares what Concerned
> Women for America think, let it, please, implement that filter on
> English Wikipedia and leave the rest of the projects alone -- if they
> don't ask for the filter explicitly. As members of that organization
> probably don't know any other language except English, everybody will
> be happy. Except the core editors of English Wikipedia, of course. But
> Board doesn't care about them, anyway; which means that English
> Wikipedia is reasonable scapegoat for Wikimedia movement to please
> sexually impaired Americans and others.

I think this moves beyond just one organization. As a "concerned feminist"
who "lives in America" the idea of calling the women who support the
referendum, aren't into bad porn on Commons, and tacky use of sexualized
images on articles as "educational" when they really aren't, "sexually
impaired" - is beyond sexist.  Unless, perhaps, I'm mis-understanding your
post.

I realized that I started to participate in this madness when I asked
> for some data from the results. And now, community is asked to
> participate into the "Next steps" [3]! Holy Thing! That will produce
> much more sexual content than any "porn" photo on Commons. In Serbian
> we say for that "fucking in healthy brain". If not exterminated at the
> beginning, that brainfuck (unfortunately, not programming language
> [4]) will produce much more problems than any image filter or any Fox
> News scam.

Voices are being heard who are against tacky bad sexualized images. The
group of people who support this "Commons is the dump of the sum of crappy
free photos for the world" way of thinking might be the loudest, but they
are the smallest in numbers, when it comes to English landscapes, from my
understanding. If people want to bombard us with more sexualized images,
we'll just keep fighting back. I can pay for my porn, I don't need it on
Commons.

The majority of the women (and men) who participate in this anti-sexualized
environment are generally liberal left-wing political individuals. Many are
pro-sex and embrace liberal sexual lifestyles or are open minded to what
other people do in their bedrooms. Some don't even live in America.  I think
you need to rethink your statements before you go around accusing
supporters, including women, of this referendum as sexually dysfunctional
conservatives.

Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>