[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:01:13 UTC 2011

On 6 September 2011 13:56, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 14:33, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > Personally, I think the filter will be mostly harmless, and that it's
> > not worth the effort to rail against it. It will be useful for PR --
> > it will seem as if we are trying to accomodate all points of view even
> > if the feature is not particularly useful for parents.
>
> I suppose that you know that WMF did PR research if you claim that it
> will be useful for that purpose. If so, please refer to it. If not,
> it's just about dilettantism, as usual.
>
> The only useful PR action for right-wing media was Jimmy's purging of
> artworks depicting nude women [1]. But, again, I didn't see any PR
> analysis which told to Jimmy that it is right thing to do.
>
> [1] http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/05/07/wikipedia-purges-porn/

Milos; as a strong left wing liberal I entirely support your ideas on
censorship etc.

But on the other hand I've always recognised that some people do not want to
see certain things... especially things like nudity or images of Muhammed.
And I don't see any issues with giving them the tools to hide such things -
it feels better than cramming it down their throats based on our liberal
agenda :)

Sure; it needs to be done with care so as not to be gamed, and so that it
does reflect a personal choice.

But I've never seen an issue with this sort of thing; from our readers
perspective it is a useful tool, to the editor community perhaps not so much
- but lets consider the readers for a moment.

Tom