[Foundation-l] The systematic and codified bias against non-Western articles on Wikinews

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 08:28:40 UTC 2011

Note that Google News, a popular news aggregator, often includes a link to
the Wikipedia article about breaking news and recent events, but never links
to Wikinews. Wikipedia is already largely accomplishing in many high-profile
cases what Wikinews aims to do. Also note that Chile is considered by many
to be a Western country; within a handful of years it will probably be in
the list of countries with "Very High" HDIs (barring any unforseen event),
joining the Western European countries, US, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Hong
Kong and a couple of gulf states. It seems the criteria for "the west" are
that you are a developed country in Europe or the Americas, and Chile is
both a developed country and it is located in the Americas. Despite the
often monolithic characterization of Latin America, it's not the case that
all Latin American countries are the same; some are struggling with grinding
poverty, such as Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, Bolivia, while others are
high-income countries with developed economies, such as Chile, Argentina,
and Uruguay. I would definitely consider Chile, Argentina and Uruguay to be
part of "the west".