[Foundation-l] The systematic and codified bias against non-Western articles on Wikinews

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 05:26:27 UTC 2011

Yikes.  I think the actual issue here is that we need to drive more
editors and contributors to Wikinews (or find an appropriate similar
project to merge with).

I am a fan of the Project -- I've had two people in the community-news
business in the last two weeks chat me up about wikinews because
either they'd seen something on it they liked or they wanted to engage
more field and local reporters with some similar platform.  But en:wn
is currently suffering from a chronic backlog.  this is only the most
egregious of a number of long delays.  While the "no english sources"
comment is awful, it's more about overwork and lack of multiple sets
of eyes to fix bugs of bad decisions, than it is a specific type of
bias.

SJ