[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:12:27 UTC 2011

On 5 September 2011 00:46, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 September 2011 00:26, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please define "censorship" because I think the word must mean something very
>> different to you than it does to me. To me it means one person stopping
>> another person from seeing something the first person doesn't want the
>> second person to see. That clearly doesn't apply here since there is only
>> one person.
>

> There are clearly at least two: the second being the person or persons
> selecting the default filter list.

Why does there need to be a default list? Just let anyone create
filters and perhaps use a keyword and rating system to help people
find useful ones (although I'd expect a lot of the discussions about
what filters to use to happen off Wikipedia, among the groups that
want that particular thing filtered).

If we start making decisions about what people might want to filter
then I agree we have a problem, but I don't see any need for us to
make those decisions.