[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 23:26:32 UTC 2011

On Sep 5, 2011 12:20 AM, "Kim Bruning" <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 11:54:44PM +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, exactly! You're smart! :-)
> > >
> > > Now, one definition of censorship is :
> > > * Filtering on the basis of prejudicial labels.
> > >
> > > We're not actually allowed to censor, because censorship is evil.
> > >
> > > If we want to do this, we'll need to figure out a way to make an image
> > filter
> > > which does not use prejudicial labels.
> >
> > Or we just reject that definition as obviously not applicable. If people
are
> > choosing for themselves whether to filter and, if so, what on then it
> > clearly isn't censorship.
>
> [citation needed]
>
> I don't see why it isn't applicable. You have a censorship tool (your
> prejudicial labelling scheme), and you are applying it for its intended
> purpose (albeit mildly).

Please define "censorship" because I think the word must mean something very
different to you than it does to me. To me it means one person stopping
another person from seeing something the first person doesn't want the
second person to see. That clearly doesn't apply here since there is only
one person.