[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Sun Sep 4 23:04:56 UTC 2011

On 04/09/2011 3:11 PM, church.of.emacs.ml wrote:

> That is where I disagree. The personal image filter doesn't make much
> sense in German Wikipedia, since the German culture is generally pretty
> liberal with respect to depictions of sexuality, (partially) violence
> and of course Muhammed. So it's clear that there is simply no or a very
> small necessity for a filter; thus the rejection.

And that's the best argument *against* the filter I've seen in a while
because it reiterates that it has - at its core - the insurmountable
problem that it attempts to provide a method by which "objectionable"
material can be filtered without being able to define what
"objectionable" means in any meaningfully culturally-neutral way.
(Hint:  the answer is "it cannot be done").

It wouldn't even be possible to define a meaningful "nudity" category,
and that's arguably the simplest of all.

-- Coren / Marc