[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:18:43 UTC 2011

* There's nothing wrong with the filter program itself

> * The problem is with categorizing things to work with such a program.
> * This is called prejudicial labelling
> * AMA defines prejudicial labelling as "A censoring tool"
> * This definition has existed for over half a century.
>
> We also have huge discussions where it is explained in detail *why* and
> *how*
> such categories can be used for censorship. We also have discussed how a
> category system that starts out innocent and neutral can be subverted to
> serve in a censorship role. No one has found solutions how to prevent that
> from
> happening. AMA certainly hasn't been able to do so in the last 60 years. We
> might be smarter than AMA, but it's a hard problem.

Thanks for the clarification. This is not an area of research or interest to
me strongly, so, a better understand is always really great. I just get
frustrated, and today, has been one of those days (sorry to take it out on
you guys! =)

> I really wish people would read previous discussions.

Don't be passive aggressive ;) Some of these threads have a *ton* of
replies, eventually a lot of us just hit the delete button until something
jumps out. Myself, and others, appreciate clarifications. Wikipedia and
related sister projects are bad at explaining things, so it's always nice to
have kind folks like you explain things to some of us (again!) :).

Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>