[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:51:27 UTC 2011

> Yes (maybe). It's not at all clear that this use case should not be
> ignored to avoid the possibility of compromising the encyclopedia.
>
> I have to ask: if there's such a demand for a censored Wikipedia,
> where are the third-party providers? Anyone? This is a serious
> question. Even workplace filtermakers don't censor Wikipedia, as far
> as I know.

Some workplace filters don't allow for certain subjects to be searched. I
work at a major museum institution, I cannot view subject matter about
certain sex topics (and I'm the Wikipedian in Residence, so I'm on WP most
of my day). (i.e. "sexual differences").

I don't know why people are wigging out so badly about the image filter. If
people want to use it, great, and if you don't, DON'T. But perhaps I'm
misunderstanding something about the idea. I voted for it, and it seems the
people who dislike the idea are the only one's speaking out on the list.

The idea that there is a choice is very empowering. Just like people filter
television cable programming for their children, and internet access.
Sometimes this appear when you least expect them, and to allow our users the
choice, is great. I will probably never use it (even though I just found out
there are plenty of things that gross me out that end up on Wikipedia by way
of Commons images), but, I support the option.

And to say that a 4 year old being restricted from seeing nudity on
Wikipedia is "not educating them" just makes me laugh out loud. Just like I
wouldn't want my 4 year old (and no, I don't have kids, but I have nieces,
nephews, etc) watching porn, playing violent video games or watching John
Waters movies. :P (And I love John Waters!).

It's really fascinating how freely Wikipedians and Wikimedians love to throw
around the word censorship. Someone should do a study on that.

Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>