[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 4 19:53:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 10:36:31PM +0200, rupert THURNER wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 22:22, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4 September 2011 21:20, rupert THURNER <rupert.thurner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> swastikas are not problem, but scorpions seem to be recently, haha:
> >> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer
> >> * http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer
> >

> > Well, en:wp allows fair use, but de:wp doesn't. Which averts that one nicely.
>
> oh, and why, if the domain name for both belongs to the wikimedia
> foundation which is located in the united states?

%-/

Why? Because our mission is to make things free (as in speech).
You may have heard about that ;-)

It's Wikipedia the free (as in speech) encyclopedia, not Wikipedia the
fair use encyclopedia.

So in theory, en shouldn't be allowing fair use either. In
practice, some people fubared things, and now it's grandfathered
in.

Also, de.wikipedia uses Commons 100% iirc. Commons also only
hosts actual free (as in speech) images. Because -hey- that's
their mission.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning