[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 4 19:38:14 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 09:29:25PM +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> >> I agree, and I would never turn on such a filter. That doesn't mean
> >> that other people shouldn't be allowed to if they want to.
> >
> > Right, but then they won't be educated.
> >
> > But, if they don't want to be educated, erm, why are they using
> > an encyclopedia in the first place?
>
> They won't be educated *as much*. They can still be educated. If they
> don't use Wikipedia at all because of fear of seeing things they don't
> want to see (or, because their parents fear they will see things their
> parents thing they shouldn't see), then they aren't getting educated
> by Wikipedia at all. Seeing almost all of Wikipedia is better than
> seeing none of it.

Seeing *almost* all of wikipedia introduces potential bias, which
can actually be rather much worse than seeing none of wikipedia
at all.

I think we have a rule about that.

aka:
Thomas Dalton Wrote:
> ... they ... can still ... fear... their parents...

Hmm, I'd need just a few more words to *really* misquote you. ;-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72