[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 19:57:22 UTC 2011

On 4 September 2011 20:50, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 September 2011 20:42, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4 September 2011 20:11, church.of.emacs.ml
>> <church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> That is where I disagree. The personal image filter doesn't make much
>>> sense in German Wikipedia, since the German culture is generally pretty
>>> liberal with respect to depictions of sexuality, (partially) violence
>>> and of course Muhammed. So it's clear that there is simply no or a very
>>> small necessity for a filter; thus the rejection.
>
>> What about Swastikas?
>

> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika looks good to me (visually and
> in Google translation).
>
> (I realise you may have been asking more broadly than an educational context.)

I never said there was anything wrong with the German Wikipedia. I was
suggesting that swastikas might be something German people would want
to filter out, even if none of them are offended by sex, violence, or
images of Muhammad. Even if that's not the case, there are all kinds
of other things people might want to filter out. Sex, violence and
Muhammad are just some of the most obvious examples, so they tend to
be the ones we talk about.