[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 12:48:07 UTC 2011

I said from the beginning that this poll was too badly designed for anyone
to be able to draw useful conclusions from whatever the results are. I think
that has been proven correct.

A very large proportion of voters said they don't consider the feature
important. If they simply mean "not important" then the result could be
considered a mandate to proceed. If they actually mean they are opposed to
the feature, which seems likely given the number of negative comments, then
there is not even a clear majority in favour.

While I personally am in favour of this feature, I urge the Foundation not
to proceed with it without further consultation. To ask the community for
their views and then not actually take those views into account (which you
can't do since you can't tell what they are) would be a an insult to the
community and would significantly harm relations between the Foundation and
those it exists to serve.

The Foundation needs to be mature enough to admit that they've screwed up
this survey, apologise and try again. Next time, start by figuring out what
you want to achieve by asking the questions and then choose the questions
accordingly.