[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Brasil + WMF

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 04:34:17 UTC 2011

On 3 September 2011 19:22, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> On 09/03/11 4:06 AM, Milos Rancic wrote:
> >
> > Just a bit of different perspective: I could make a list of chapters,
> > besides WM RS, which would be happy to get a representative from WMF
> > (but from any other bigger chapter, as well) in their Board, if that
> > means that the representative would really do something.
> >
> > For a number of chapters it is not a matter of having influence from
> > any other entity, but a matter of getting one person capable to help
> > chapter.
> >

> So it's not really a question of having someone on their Board.  And
> it's not a question of a person who must be from the WMF.  A person
> helping from another chapter would do just as well, and that would not
> raise apprehensions about being under a head office thumb. The helper
> would not need to be mentioned in any by-laws.  His task would be to
> help the chapter for a predetermined amount of with whatever tasks were
> agreed to between the two chapters.  The donor chapter could even
> continue to pay his salary. if he were an employee.

I suspect what you're talking about is an ex-officio member of the board,
with no voting privileges.  That makes a bit more sense to me.

On the whole, I think Anthere's post explaining the conflict of interest
issues that arise from having WMF staff/board members sitting as Chapter
board members as well is quite accurate. (I'm not as sure as she about the
WMF's intentions toward chapters; I have a feeling they've not really
figured out their own vision of chapters, which makes things more confusing
for everyone.)

Risker/Anne